The Prostate Gland - Small In Size, Big In Impact...
The prostate gland is a walnut-sized gland which is only found in men. Located just below the bladder, the prostate surrounds the first part of the urethra, which carries urine from the bladder to the penis.
A healthy prostate is essential, as it enables a man to have good sexual function. During sex, the prostate produces a milky fluid which is an important part of the semen, which transports and protects sperm.
Because of its location, the prostate has a great influence on a man's urinary and sexual functions.
For instance, if it becomes enlarged, the prostate can "choked" off the urethra... and cause one or more of the following distressing symptoms:
- Difficulty in starting to urinate or holding back urine
- Weak urinary stream
- Waking several times at night to urinate
- Urinary incontinence (leaking of urine)
- Pain or burning during urination
- A feeling that the bladder is always not empty
- Sexual dysfunction and decreased sex drive
- Painful ejaculation during sex
- Blood in urine or semen
- Frequent pain in the lower back, hips, or ribs
- Weight loss
Close This Prostate Gland Page
Go to Home Page